Thursday, February 12, 2015

An Interview with Ann, Author of The Dandelion Who Refused to be a Weed

Today I would like to welcome to my blog Ann, the author of The Dandelion Who Refused to be a Weed, her debut children's book. She has a lot more books lined up for publication in the near future so she is an author to watch for. If you haven't seen my review for her book yet, you can click on this link, and it will take you there. Don't forget to come back though and find out more about Ann!

How long have you been writing?
I have been writing for a few years.  I retrained as a graphic designer a few years ago and always wanted to use my design skills and my love of words to create children’s stories.  I think in a very visual way and so the words and the pictures work together.

What got you started?
I love storytelling and I wanted to create a different type of picture book which had a story that would entertain adults as well as children, and was designed in an eye-catching format.  I researched what made a best-seller and I used my own skills and life experiences to create my own line of books. 

Why do you write?
I write because I feel I have a talent for storytelling and from my years of experience working in London, I can use my different experiences to create stories that appeal to adults and children.  I like to share my knowledge of dealing with problems in a very positive way, and a lot of my stories deal with self esteem, or childhood issues in a colourful and humorous way, thereby encouraging and entertaining the reader.

Why do you think your readers are going to enjoy your books?
I think they will find that there is something in them for everyone.  In ‘The Dandelion Who Refused to be a Weed’, children love Dolores the sassy dandelion and the little weeds, and all the bright colours and insects, and the adults love that there is sub-text and something to think about in the story.  They also love the play on words and the unique eye-catching design.

Who designed the covers?
I design the covers and all the interior pages.  From the words come the pictures so the two are inseparable.  I storyboard the pages and then work on the characters in more depth, so I get to know them and how they might behave.  I then work with an illustrator to bring my vision to life!

How many books have you written? Can you tell us a little bit about them?
I have written 15 books so far and The Dandelion Who Refused to be a Weed is my first publication.  There is a theme in my books that comes from wanting to tell a story that is entertaining for children and their parents/ guardians.  Sometimes the subtext is more prominent and other times the story is just good fun, with a great play on words.  Other titles which I hope to publish in 2015 include:  The Owl Who Didn’t Give a Hoot – about a naughty owl who used to hoot during the day so he had to be sent back to Hoot School; and Inspector Bee of the Hive – about a bee who was bodyguard to the Queen Bee and got awarded an extra stripe for foiling a sticky plot in the hive!

When can we expect to see them on bookshelves?
Well in an ideal world I would like them all to be on bookshelves now!  However, until a publisher decides to take them to print, they are, at the present time, going to be available in ebook format from Matador Books.  But with so many young children these days having Kindles and iPads, I hope lots and lots of children will still be able to enjoy them until they reach the bookshelves!


The Dandelion Who Refused to be a Weed
By Ann
Publisher: Matador
Published: Nov. 26, 2014
ASIN: B00Q8S7OMK

Amazon Synopsis:

Age Level: 3 - 7
Hello! 

 Have you ever wanted to read a children’s picture book to your child which was not only great fun and interesting for them, but also really entertaining and thought provoking for you?! 



Well, look no further …. my children’s picture book ‘The Dandelion Who Refused to be a Weed’ has been trialled on lots of families and all the parents say, “there’s so much more to this book than in other children’s picture books, and the kids just love Dolores, the big bright bold dandelion. … they just want to keep reading it!” 



The story is about a dandelion called Dolores, who can’t understand why she is called a weed when she is just as beautiful as the other flowers. One day, however, when a storm blows in, it’s Dolores who keeps her head while the other flowers lose theirs! 



The book is beautifully illustrated with bright colours and designed to make any child or adult want to pick it up and read more. It is written from life experiences, which gives it a charming authenticity, and with a great humorous play on words - it’s a must-have read for any child! 

Book Links
Amazon.com  *  Amazon.co.uk  *  Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment